Back Care Program
“Focus on keeping your spine straight. It is the job of the spine to keep the brain alert.” – BKS Iyengar
Do you have scoliosis or chronic back pain and wince at the idea of stretching to touch your toes? This focused program puts relief in reach. Certified Iyengar Teacher and Yoga for Scoliosis Trainer Susan Elena Esquivel, a specialist in spinal health, specifically designed the first and only Yoga for Scoliosis/Back Care Program in the Northampton and Western Massachusetts area to help students alleviate pain and ease structural imbalances. Her classes are infused with the knowledge of spinal health gained in her ongoing apprenticeship with Senior Iyengar Teacher Elise Browning Miller from whom she learns firsthand the nuances of scoliosis and other spinal disorders.
“Susan Elena has assisted me with my Yoga for Back Care and Yoga for Scoliosis Workshops for many years. She has become a highly qualified and dedicated Iyengar teacher with a specialty in addressing yoga for scoliosis and other back issues in classes, workshops and with private students. I highly recommend Susan Elena to shed light to students from all walks of life.”
– Elise Browning Miller, January 2018
Susan Elena will guide you through Iyengar yoga sequences that will slowly coax your body into a more symmetrical alignment. You will stretch muscles that have tightened and strengthen muscles that have grown weak. As you progress, your breathing will be freer and your body will be in less pain. Using certain yoga positions and breathing awareness, you will find the balance point that allows the scoliosis curve to coexist with gravity. Can you feel your spine sighing with relief?
About the Back Care Program
Our program, which is designed for students with scoliosis and other spinal issues, including low back pain, stenosis, DDD, sciatica and chronic neck/shoulder/back pain, is based on the following Yoga for Scoliosis/Back Care Principles:
- Focus on breath
- Lengthen the spine
- Align the hips and shoulders
- Address hyper mobility and focus on strengthening
- Address the rotational component
- Postural alignment and leg strength
- Defy gravity – use props and ropes to create traction, inversions to lengthen spine and release pain
What are my back care options?
Susan Elena offers a combination of private lessons, short courses, series and ongoing daily classes to address individual back care issues. You can design a schedule that works for you combining both privates and classes or a beginner back care series.
Private lessons are a great way to get started or to compliment the work you are doing in classes. You can focus in on a specific issue or develop a home practice.
- 3o Minute Yoga for Back Care/Scoliosis Consult– allows you to ask questions and get an assessment that will help us suggest a combination of classes and/or privates for your back care needs. Fee – $45
- 45 Minute Yoga for Back Care/Scoliosis Consult– allows you to ask questions and get an assessment that will help us suggest a combination of classes and/or privates for your back care needs. Fee – $75
- 60 Minute Yoga for Back Care/Scoliosis Consult– allows you to ask questions and get an in depth assessment of your curve and review of the modifications of yoga poses that will provide the most benefit for your body. This evaluation will help us create a home practice specifically designed for your body and back care needs. Fee – $90.